Firefighters on Alert for Flare Ups in Salamina

The twin wildfires killed two and injured several others, including three who remain in serious condition

The situation on Salamina has improved Monday morning, after twin wildfires swept through the Peristeria and Selenia areas, according to the latest information. Firefighters remain on high alert to tackle any flare-ups, while aerial firefighting aircraft stand ready to intervene at first light if needed.

Authorities have intensified their investigation into the cause of the fire, which claimed the lives of two residents who became trapped inside their home in Peristeria. The possibility of arson remains under investigation, while a vacant lot piled with garbage is being examined as a possible ignition point for the devastating blaze.

Angelos Chatzis, a resident of the area and choreographer at the Greek National Opera, described the dramatic moments he experienced while speaking on MEGA.

“Most of the vacant lots had been cleared, and I think at least 20 of the roughly 50 houses in the Peristeria settlement have burned,” he said, adding, “My hands and hair were burned while I was fighting the fire.”

Speaking on the same program, Michalis Giannakos, president of the Panhellenic Federation of Public Hospital Employees (POEDIN), said five people injured in the Salamina fire are being treated at Thriasio Hospital. Three are in serious condition, although none are in life-threatening condition.

The devastation in Peristeria reflects the scale of the disaster, with homes and vehicles suffering extensive damage. In many cases, only charred remnants of buildings remain, making it difficult to determine whether they had been homes or businesses.

Vehicles parked near buildings also sustained significant damage, while residents have begun documenting their losses.

Meanwhile, there is no longer an active front at the wildfire that broke out in Kaki Vigla just minutes after the Peristeria fire began.

According to the Fire Service, the two victims were found near where the fire broke out. They were an elderly couple who died before firefighters could reach them.

The fire spread with extraordinary speed, expanding dramatically in just seven minutes as strong winds fueled the flames.

Hundreds Rescued as Investigation Continues

A total of 593 people have been rescued from the coastal areas of Saterli and Kolones. According to the latest update from the Hellenic Coast Guard, those evacuated were transported aboard four passenger ferries.

Based on the evidence gathered so far, the Peristeria fire appears to have started in a garbage-filled vacant lot. A resident who called the Fire Service at 2:43 p.m. told investigators the flames began in the nearby lot.

The causes of that fire, together with the second blaze that broke out at 3:03 p.m. in Kaki Vigla, Selenia, are being closely investigated by the Directorate for Dealing with Arson Crimes (D.A.E.E).

Emergency Shelter Open for Residents

Authorities issued six emergency 112 alerts to inform residents and order evacuations from the affected areas. The island remains under a Category 4 — very high — wildfire risk on Monday, while strong winds continue to complicate firefighting efforts.

Deputy Minister for Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Kostas Katsafados is due to visit Salamina at midday for a meeting with municipal authorities and local officials to coordinate immediate damage restoration and compensation for those affected.

Salamina Town Hall has been converted into a temporary shelter and support center for residents, with the “Bogri” Hall already open. Water and basic assistance are being provided, while municipal services remain on full alert to offer help wherever needed.

Follow tovima.com on Google News to keep up with the latest stories
Exit mobile version