An armed confrontation between police and a suspect unfolded in the early hours of Saturday in the coastal Athens neighborhood of Mikrolimano, leaving one man hospitalized with gunshot wounds and triggering a major security operation in the area. According to the latest police update, the suspect was known to authorities and had a lengthy criminal record.
The incident unfolded shortly after 5:30 a.m., when officers from the anti-extortion unit of Greece’s Organized Crime Directorate were conducting checks outside a business in Mikrolimano.
Police said officers identified the man as suspicious and attempted to approach him. He reportedly tried to walk away and, when officers moved in to stop him, allegedly brandished a firearm instead of complying with orders. Officers then opened fire, wounding the suspect and immobilizing him at the scene. The man was transported by ambulance to Athens’ Attikon Hospital, where he remains hospitalized. No official update has been released regarding his condition, although reports indicate he has already undergone surgery.
The suspect had previously been convicted in connection with the 2013 killing of a 30-year-old man in the Athens suburb of Kaisariani. Authorities said he had also escaped custody in 2019 along with three other detainees during a prison transfer. He was later transferred to a prison in Albania, where he allegedly escaped again before returning to Greece. Police sources said the man had also faced previous accusations related to robberies and violent confrontations with officers.
Authorities said officers recovered three firearms from the suspect — a revolver and two pistols — while a nearby search uncovered a bag containing six hand grenades.
A bomb disposal unit was called to the scene to safely neutralize the explosives, while police sealed off the surrounding area.
The investigation is ongoing.