Investigations into the deadly explosion at Greek biscuit manufacturer Violanta are widening, as authorities move to suspend operations at a third factory following the discovery of an undeclared storage area and mounting safety concerns.
The regional administration of Thessaly has already ordered the temporary shutdown of the company’s second plant due to a lack of required fire safety certification.
Owner Appears in Court Amid Tensions
The owner of the factory where the fatal blast occurred was taken to court, where a group of employees gathered to show their support, applauding him as he arrived.
At the same time, bystanders reacted angrily, shouting: “Aren’t you ashamed? Five women are dead.”
A representative of the employees defended the owner, saying they viewed him not just as an employer but as someone who stood alongside them.
Through his lawyer, the owner requested additional time to prepare his testimony and is expected to appear before the investigating judge on Wednesday. After his deposition, judicial authorities will decide on his further criminal treatment.
New Videos Capture the Explosion
Newly released surveillance footage shows the moment of the deadly explosion, which investigators estimate had the force of approximately 185 kilograms of TNT. The videos reveal the magnitude of the shockwave.
In another clip recorded shortly before the blast, a security guard can be seen conducting a routine check with a mobile phone flashlight, narrowly escaping death.
Allegations of Ignored Warnings
Serious questions have also emerged from testimonies by workers and contractors. A plumber who had been hired to install a pipe at the facility claimed he raised safety concerns with the owner but was dismissed.
According to his account, the owner insisted the work be done without additional protective measures, reportedly telling him to proceed and that he would assume responsibility for any consequences.
Other employees said management had received repeated warnings about a strong propane smell, both on the night of the explosion and earlier.
One worker recalled asking a supervisor after midnight whether he detected an unusual gas-like odor, only to be told it was likely fumes from a dishwasher.
A female employee and mother of one of the victims said she had previously alerted management about the smell and other safety issues, including exposed electrical cables on the production floor that had caused electric shocks.
Hidden Storage at Third Factory
Meanwhile, authorities are now examining the company’s third factory in the city of Larissa, where a previously undisclosed storage space of approximately 300–400 square meters was reportedly discovered.
The area was not included in official building plans or in the archived fire safety study, raising further concerns about regulatory compliance.