The owner of the Violanta biscuit factory in central Greece will appeal a judge’s decision ordering his pretrial detention in connection with the deadly Jan. 26 explosion that killed five female workers, his lawyer said.
The businessman has been transferred to Trikala Prison following a lengthy hearing before an investigating magistrate. He faces a charge involving possible intent in the explosion, a serious allegation under Greek criminal law.
Defense: No Intent in Violanta Factory Explosion
Speaking to a local radio station in Trikala, the owner’s attorney said his client denies any intent or prior knowledge related to the conditions that led to the blast.
According to the lawyer, the accused told investigators he was “deeply shocked” by the tragedy and its consequences. He maintains that he had no knowledge of any risk of explosion, nor of a propane leak or corrosion in an underground pipe at the factory.
The defense also argued that technical issues such as gas leaks or infrastructure corrosion fall under the responsibility of specialized professionals, including engineers and other technical experts, who may not have informed the factory owner of any potential dangers.
The lawyer said these points were included both in the written defense memorandum submitted to the investigating magistrate and in the owner’s oral responses during questioning.
Prosecutor Cites “Aggravating Evidence”
The prosecutor in the case recommended the owner’s pretrial detention, a proposal that was accepted by the investigating magistrate late Wednesday. The decision led to his immediate transfer to prison pending further legal proceedings.
According to information that has become public, the case file contains evidence described as particularly aggravating. It reportedly suggests that the owner had been informed about a strong odor inside the factory before the explosion.
That version of events appears to contradict the owner’s claim that he was informed of the issue only in the days immediately preceding the explosion.
The defense team has said it will formally challenge the detention order once it receives the official expert reports included in the investigative file. The appeal will seek the owner’s release while the case continues.