Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to meet U.S. President Donald Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner on Monday, a day after Kushner held rare talks with Hamas officials in Cairo as part of efforts to advance the U.S. president’s Gaza peace plan.
A diplomatic source said Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya was present at some of the meetings held by mediators with Kushner and Trump’s Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, in Cairo on Sunday.
The meeting marks Kushner’s second known encounter with representatives of Hamas, the Palestinian militant group designated as a terrorist organization by the United States.
Kushner previously met Hamas officials alongside U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff in October 2025. Those talks helped secure a deal that led to a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of the remaining hostages seized by Hamas during its Oct. 7, 2023, attacks on Israel.
Netanyahu Has Rejected Trump’s Plan
The latest diplomatic push comes as Trump seeks to advance a plan for ending the conflict in Gaza.
Trump said in late July that a deal had been reached for the complete disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza.
Under the plan, Trump said the agreement would be implemented in phases, with Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as disarmament progressed. An International Stabilization Force would work alongside a new Palestinian police force to provide security in the enclave.
Hamas has said it agreed to the plan, but that implementation would depend on Israel first fulfilling its own commitments, including withdrawing forces and halting attacks.
Netanyahu, however, has publicly rejected Trump’s plan. He is seeking re-election in a vote scheduled for October.







