Google Button Μake us preferred on Google

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, plan to move back to Britain this month with their two children, six years after leaving royal duties and relocating to the United States, according to media reports.

People magazine and The Telegraph reported that the couple will move from California to Britain for an extended period with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5. The children are expected to begin school in Britain in September.

A source close to the couple confirmed the reports. Harry’s spokesperson and Buckingham Palace did not comment.

Prince Harry and Meghan Plan Extended Return to Britain

A general view of the entryway to a private road leading to Britain’s Prince Harry’s and his wife, Duchess of Sussex Meghan’s home in Montecito, California, U.S., August 19, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Jane Ross

The couple will not live in a royal residence and will continue as non-working royals, according to The Telegraph. That arrangement was agreed with the late Queen Elizabeth when Harry and Meghan stepped back from official duties in March 2020.

From royal duties to California

Harry married former actress Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in 2018. Their marriage was initially seen as a potential boost for the monarchy, but tensions between the couple and other members of the royal family emerged within a few years.

Prince Harry and Meghan Plan Extended Return to Britain

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex exit St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle after their royal wedding ceremony, in Windsor, Britain, 19 May 2018. NEIL HALL/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

In March 2020, Harry and Meghan announced they would leave their official roles and move to the United States. They eventually settled in Montecito, near Santa Barbara, California, where media reports said they paid $14.7 million for a 16-bedroom home.

The couple subsequently spoke publicly about their experiences within the royal family in television interviews, a Netflix documentary series and Harry’s memoir, Spare.

Prince Harry and Meghan Plan Extended Return to Britain

Prince Harry’s autobiography Reserven, also called Spare in english, is ready for sale at the Boghallen bookshop in Copenhagen, January 10, 2023. Ritzau Scanpix/Ida Marie Odgaard via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. DENMARK OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN DENMARK.

In a 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan said a member of the royal family had raised concerns about the possible skin tone of her and Harry’s son, Archie. Prince William later rejected accusations that the royal family was racist.

Harry also publicly criticized both his father, King Charles, and his brother, Prince William, further deepening the rift between him and the rest of the royal family.

Security arrangements became another major source of tension. Harry objected to changes made by the British government and said the lack of automatic police protection meant he could not safely bring his children to Britain.

Relations with King Charles improve

Harry’s relationship with his father has shown signs of improvement. In September, the two met briefly for the first time in 20 months.

Charles was diagnosed with an unspecified form of cancer in 2024. Last December, he said in a televised message that he had responded “exceptionally well” to treatment and that doctors were reducing it.

Prince Harry and Meghan Plan Extended Return to Britain

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, reacts as she, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Queen Camilla and King Charles attend the state funeral and burial of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, in London, Britain, September 19, 2022 REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

Harry, Meghan and their children visited Britain last month, when Charles saw his grandchildren for the first time since 2022.

The king reportedly welcomed the prospect of seeing more of the Sussexes, although reports said he only learned of the family’s plans to return to Britain on Sunday.

Harry’s relationship with William, however, remains far more strained, with the brothers still barely speaking.

Prince Harry and Meghan Plan Extended Return to Britain

(LtoR) Britain’s Charles, Prince of Wales, Britain’s Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Britain’s Prince Harry, attend a commemoration ceremony at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial during a commemoration ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, in Vimy, near Arras, northern France, on April 9, 2017. REUTERS/Philippe Huguen/POOL

Life and work in the United States

Since leaving royal duties, Harry and Meghan have pursued several media projects. They signed multimillion-dollar agreements with Spotify for a podcast series and with Netflix for programming that included a lifestyle show hosted by Meghan.

The results have been mixed. Harry’s memoir became a bestseller, but the Spotify partnership ended, while Meghan’s Netflix show was not renewed for a third season.

Dominic Patten, executive editor of Hollywood publication Deadline.com, said the couple had not achieved the level of celebrity status they appeared to seek.