Violanta Owner Faces Judge Over Fatal Blast

Supporters gathered outside the Trikala courthouse as the factory owner faced felony charges linked to the explosion that killed five workers, amid mounting evidence of ignored safety warnings

The owner of the Violanta biscuit factory appeared before an investigating magistrate on Wednesday in connection with the deadly explosion that claimed the lives of five female employees.

The hearing took place in the city of Trikala, where supporters gathered outside the courthouse to express solidarity with the businessman as he faces felony charges related to the incident.

Mounting Evidence in 1,000-Page Case File

According to case documents spanning approximately 1,000 pages, investigators are examining testimonies from employees who reported a strong smell of propane in the days leading up to the blast. Workers claim management dismissed the odor, attributing it to sewer issues and instructing staff to pour cleaning agents down drains.

Several employees testified that an alarm repeatedly sounded in an oven along the oat production line during the week before the explosion. The shift supervisor allegedly deactivated the system, assuming it was a false alert — a decision now under scrutiny.

Witnesses also described hazardous working conditions, including exposed electrical cables on the factory floor that reportedly caused electric shocks. Some said they had never received instructions on evacuation procedures in case of an emergency.

Technical Failures Under Investigation

One worker told fire authorities he had been assigned plumbing tasks without holding the required qualifications. He stated that he had detected the smell of propane in multiple buildings at least two months before the fatal explosion and had informed both the owner and the production manager, but no issue was identified.

The factory’s electrical infrastructure is also being examined. An electrician testified that the spark triggering the explosion may have originated from a standard relay switch that was not explosion-proof, despite the presence of flammable materials in the facility.

Court-appointed experts have identified serious shortcomings in the underground installation of gas pipelines and other critical safety systems. Authorities are investigating whether additional individuals who signed off on the plant’s safety protocols may bear criminal responsibility.

New Video Evidence

Recently released video footage captures the moment of the explosion, showing burning metal sheets and debris being hurled into the air. In several frames, security cameras appear to freeze or turn white due to the force of the blast.

Investigators believe the explosion preceded the fire — a detail considered crucial to determining the sequence of events and potential liability.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Follow tovima.com on Google News to keep up with the latest stories
Exit mobile version