Hantavirus Cruise Ship Arrives in Rotterdam for Quarantine

A luxury cruise liner linked to a hantavirus outbreak has reached Rotterdam, where Dutch authorities are preparing quarantine and disinfection measures for remaining crew after multiple deaths and confirmed infections

A luxury cruise ship at the center of a hantavirus outbreak has arrived at the Dutch port of Rotterdam, where authorities are preparing quarantine arrangements for the remaining crew and medical staff on board.

The MV Hondius, a Dutch-flagged vessel operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, was carrying around 150 passengers and crew from 23 countries when a cluster of severe respiratory illnesses was first reported to the World Health Organization on May 2.

Since the outbreak began, three people — a Dutch couple and a German national — have died.

Marine tracking sites confirmed the ship reached Rotterdam on Monday. Local authorities said 23 crew members and two medical staff remain on board as quarantine procedures are prepared.

The vessel had previously been stranded off Cape Verde after authorities prevented passengers from disembarking. It later departed for Rotterdam with a reduced crew following coordination involving the WHO and the European Union, which asked Spain to oversee evacuation efforts in the Canary Islands.

Once in Rotterdam, the ship is expected to undergo full disinfection. Authorities have also set up quarantine facilities for some non-Dutch crew members, although it remains unclear whether they will remain isolated for the full recommended 42-day period.

Hantavirus is primarily transmitted through rodents, though human-to-human transmission is rare and typically requires prolonged close contact. The incubation period can last up to six weeks.

Passengers and crew who left the vessel earlier, as well as individuals who came into contact with them, have been placed under quarantine in multiple countries.

The outbreak involves the Andes strain of hantavirus, which has been present in parts of South America for decades. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has said ship samples show no significant variation in the virus.

According to the World Health Organization, there have been 10 reported cases linked to the outbreak — eight confirmed and two probable — including the three fatalities. One previously suspected case was later ruled negative.

Health authorities continue to recommend strict monitoring and quarantine for high-risk contacts for up to 42 days after exposure, while advising lower-risk individuals to self-monitor and seek medical attention if symptoms develop.

Follow tovima.com on Google News to keep up with the latest stories
Exit mobile version